So here is the high level feature list:
- Multi-player arena battles
- Network play
- Asynchronous turns OR constant connection with timeouts for each players turn.
- Pass-and-play for mobile devices (allows multiplayer games on one device).
- 1-8 players
- Single player vs AI wizards is also an option
- Multiple arena configurations - based on number of players and battle mode
- Various battle modes
- Standard 'death match'
- Team based mode
- Co-op vs AI monster wizard
- Possibly more...
- Single player 'Kingdoms of Chaos' campaign mode
- The campaign map is divided into regions, each controlled by an enemy wizard
- You start with a basic wizard character, and you must journey through regions battling enemy wizards.
- Your objective is to find and kill the Wizard King
- However each move on the campaign map, and each battle, will see the Wizard King and his Wizard Lords get slightly stronger. It is a race against time (turn-based time, that is).
- Enemy wizards have specific spell lists and AI personalities.
- Each region has a terrain type with various map layouts, wondering monsters, hazards and pickups.
- Your wizard will gain spells and improve basic stats through defeating enemy wizards and finding artefacts (such as 'magical tomes' which allow you to learn a spell).
- If you are defeated by a wizard in a region, you can always revisit it at a later date when you are better equipped.
- The Campaign map, and all regional battle maps, are all randomly generated according to a seed chosen by the player by entering a short text string. This means any other player can play the same campaign by entering the same seed string.
So the big idea with the Kingdoms of Chaos mode is that it is randomly, algorithmically generated. It will need enough elements and variety to keep it interesting, but should have plenty of replay value. There should be an element of strategy and deduction in figuring out which battles to fight and where to go on the campaign map.
I will add more details about creatures and combat, spell casting, law and chaos and terrain in future posts.