The good news is that I have just finished programming the terrain editor for Chaos Reborn, which I shall make publicly available shortly. I have decided to keep things relatively simple, with just 3 height levels and simple rules (basically as in 'Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars'). Here are the rules:
- There are 3 height levels, 1 is the lowest, 2 is the middle and 3 is the highest.
- Non-flying creatures may move freely between level 1 and 2, and between 2 and 3, but not between 1 and 3.
- Creatures may not attack in close combat between levels 1 and 3
- Creatures do not engage each other between levels 1 and 3
- When attacking from a higher level, creatures gain a combat bonus
- When being attacked from a lower level creatures gain a defence bonus
Maps may also contain various objects which occupy a hex, such as walls, rocks, trees, monoliths, etc. These objects will block movement, but may be attacked and destroyed.
I will make the editor publicly available shortly, but for now here are some screen shots from the editor with some of my crude, place-holder graphics. You will have to imagine the final result with something more organic and visually impressive.
Firstly, here is an example of a two-player arena.
For the Kingdoms mode, there will be more interesting terrain, as in these examples.